(02) 6676 2994
North Coast

Building Surveyors


To speak to a building certifier call


building plans

How Do I Lodge a Complying Development Certificate/Construction Certificate/Building Approval Application ?

Download the relevant application form and submit the completed form along with all required documents to NCBS Australia Private Certifiers via info@ncbsaustralia.com.

What Happens After I Submit My Application ?

1. Once NCBS Australia Private Certifiers receives your building application our staff immediately pre-assesses it to check for commonly required documents or information that may be missing. This check is not a full assessment but it's purpose is to identify any obvious missing information or documents which could delay your approval.

2. Your application is then assessed by our professional building surveyor’s who ensure that your application is compliant with the Building Code of Australia, Planning Schemes and relevant Australian Standards. At this point further information may be requested if there is insufficient information to grant an approval.

3. Once all required documentation is received and the assessment is complete, a Building Permit, Development Decision Notice, Complying Development Certificate or Construction Certificate is issued by NCBS Australia Private Certifiers.

NOTE: You are not permitted to begin work, until the permit has been issued.

What Happens After Approval ?

The building permit will state which inspections NCBS Australia Private Certifiers has requested. Once you have reached each stage, you are required to book an inspection, which will be attended by one of our Building Inspectors.

Final Certificates
Once the Final Inspection has been undertaken NCBS Australia Private Certifiers will issue the relevant final certificate to allow the lawful use of the building or structure.


What is the Long Service Levy?
  • payable by the person for whom construction work is being performed
  • compulsory for any project valued at 25,000 and over
The NSW State Government has put a levy on building and construction work costing $25,000 and above (inclusive of GST) in NSW.  The current levy rate is 0.35%.  The levy is paid into a fund administered by the Long Service Corporation, and from this fund, the Corporation makes long service payments to building and construction workers.

The scheme is funded by a levy on building and construction work of $25,000 and above in NSW, and paid by the person for whom the building and construction work is being performed.

The long service levy is payable prior to the commencement of building works.  All approval authorities have obligations under the Building & Construction Industry Long Service Payments Act 1986 and/or the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 to ensure that the correct levies are paid prior to issuing any approvals allowing works to commence.

What is the Home Building Compensation Fund (HBCF)
  • payable by the builder
  • compulsory for any project valued at over $20,000

A builder must take out insurance under the Home Building Compensation Fund (HBCF, previously Home Warranty Insurance) for any residential home building work valued at over $20,000. Insurance policies under the HBCF provide a set period of cover for loss caused by defective or incomplete work in the event of death, disappearance or insolvency of the contractor.

Insurance under the Fund commenced on May 1 1997 under Home Building Act 1989. From 1 July 2010, the NSW Self Insurance Corporation (now trading as icare hbcf) became the sole provider of insurance under the HBCF within NSW.

Insurance under the Home Building Compensation Fund needs to be provided by:
  • a builder or tradesperson before taking any money (including a deposit) from a home owner (including an owner-builder) under a residential building contract and before starting any work under that contract.
  •  a 'spec' builder before starting any residential building work on a property owner by the builder.
  •  a developer before entering into a contract for the sale of a property on which a building is doing or has done residential building work for the developer.

FAQs Swimming Pool Compliance NSW


What is Home Warranty Insurance?

  • payable by the builder
  • compulsory for any project valued at $3,300

Home warranty insurance, is a protection for homeowners. It provides cover in situations where the contractor fails to complete the work, the work is defective, or subsidence occurs.

Most residential building work done in Queensland valued over $3,300 (including labour and materials) must have home warranty insurance.

As part of the building process, the builder pays a premium to the Queensland Building and Construction Commission to insure the construction. The amount is included as part of the contract, and is paid before work begins.

It may protect you where:

  • a licensed builder does not complete the contracted residential construction work and you have terminated the contract
  • the contractor fails to rectify defective work
  • the building suffers from subsidence or settlement.

If the QBCC pay out on a claim, they will then pursue the builder to recover the claim amount. It’s important to have a signed contract with your builder. Apart from being a legal requirement, it ensures that you have access to the full range of benefits under the Home Warranty Scheme.

What is Portable Long Service Leave?

  • payable by the person for whom building works are being performed
  • compulsory for any project valued at $150,000 and over

QLeave is the trading name of the Building and Construction Industry (Portable Long Service Leave) Authority established in 1992 to administer a paid long service leave scheme for eligible workers in the building and construction industry regardless of whether they work on different projects for one or more employers.

Where a development application for building, operational, plumbing or drainage work, with an estimated cost of the proposed work of $150,000 or more (excluding GST), has been lodged the Assessment Manager (Local Government or Private Certifier - Class A) must not issue the development permit, or approval, unless they have seen an approved form issued by QLeave (or written advice from QLeave) stating:

(1) that the levies, or the first instalment of levies, has been paid or
(2) that an exemption from payment of the levies exists in relation to the work or
(3) that an exemption from immediate payment of the levies exists in relation to the work.

FAQs Swimming Pool Compliance QLD