0497 622 183
North Coast

Building Surveyors


To speak to a building certifier call

Building Approvals Queensland

Building approvals

A building development approval is required before starting construction on most types of domestic building work.

These approvals are also known as building permits and can be obtained from either your local council or a private building certifier.

Approval of domestic building work

Council building certifiers and private building certifiers must be licensed with the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (formerly the Building Services Authority). Building certifiers are responsible for assessing whether proposed building work complies with all relevant provisions of the Building Act 1975 and associated standards.

Building certifiers will also be able to advise whether a building approval is required. Some minor building work may be self-assessable or exempt.

Some aspects of domestic building work such as the maximum height, setback or character of a building may be controlled under a council planning scheme and a planning permit is required from council.


If a licensed builder is engaged and the value of residential work exceeds $3,300, a copy of the Builder's Home Warranty Insurance for the building work must be obtained.

If a licensed builder is not engaged and the value of any residential work exceeds $11,000, a copy of an Owner Builders Permit must be obtained.

Before work starts

The decision notice includes conditions that must be complied with - either during construction or on completion.

During construction

Inspections are undertaken so that the work can be certified when it is completed.

To book an inspection, the owner or builder simply rings our office the day before the inspection is required and books the inspection.

Inspections can be undertaken six (6) days per week (with 48 hours notice for Saturdays).

On completion of work

A final inspection must be undertaken.

Any outstanding certificates from contractors or engineers need to be submitted to NCBS Australia.

NCBS Australia will issue the Final certificate, as required in your development consent.

Development assessment

Queensland has a common system which sets out how development applications should be made and assessed. The system comprises a process, rules and forms. Council is usually the assessment manager; however through the state assessment and referral agency the state also manages some applications.

This current development assessment system is known as the 'integrated development assessment system' (IDAS). IDAS sets out a DA process by which councils and other agencies assess and make decisions on the various types of land use and development proposals that occur. These proposals generally refer to building, subdividing land or changing how an existing building or piece of land is used.

The DA process focusses on ensuring that these development proposals are assessed using a consistent process, and assessment and decision criteria, in accordance with community expectations as set out in a local planning scheme.

An application may need to be made for a development permit to carry out certain types of developments.

The development assessment process that relates to your proposal.

The State Assessment and Referral Agency (SARA) is the first and only point of contact for development applications where the state has a jurisdiction under the Sustainable Planning Act 2009.

The DA mapping system contains all available Geographic Information System (GIS) mapping layers kept, prepared or sourced by the state that relate to development assessment and matters of interest to the state in assessing development applications.